The proverbial question going into the “big” test. If I don’t know the answer, should I guess?
1. If you have absolutely no idea at all, leave it blank. Do not guess wildly. The odds are against you.
2. If you can eliminate even one of the choices, go ahead and guess.
3. If you can make an educated guess, rather than a wild guess, guess away.
4. If it is not a multiple choice question. Guess, guess, guess. There is no penalty for guessing on free-response gridded problems.
5. I would add this although there is no research behind it. If you don’t know an answer but you have a strong “gut feeling”, go for it.
6. Your first response is correct more often than not.